Thursday, August 9, 2007

~~~~~ Heat Wave ~~~~~~

It is unbelievably hot here today, and I remember hearing some people say, 'This is Africa hot!"

News flash people - I have lived, worked and played in Africa, and it gets hot there, but not steamy and uncomfortable like this. It's so hot here in Richmond today that the temp reading in my car reads 105 -- in the shade! I long for winter, not autumn, winter with lots and lots of snow and if you get cold, you can pile on more blankets, another sweater or have some gluwein (that's German mulled wine for those who don't know what that is. It's very good and goes down smoothly and before you realise it, you don't feel cold anymore, just toasty (LOL)).

On a more serious note, I was reading Yahoo! news a couple of weeks ago, and I saw an article about people who forget their children in the car. It was an awful article and my heart was breaking for those parents who have gone through it. It brought about the question of what one should do should you happen to see someone do that; I have often waited to run errands with Matt or the babysitter, so that they can wait with the kids in the car, because sometimes you can accomplish things much faster that way. I prefer to not have to drag them around when it's so hot or cold that it makes the trip unpleasant for everyone.

So, what do you do if you see this happening? Do you call the police? Do you say something to the parents? What about parents who leave their kids alone at night (when the kids are asleep) and go over to the neighbors for a drink? Is that legal? Should we say something? I would be interested in hearing what people have to say about this and if there is a law about this somewhere out there?

No comments: