Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The search for stewed tomatoes

You would think that living in the south, we would be able to find these at every grocery store; not so, I tell you!

These have become my new culinary obsession, and it all started a month ago with a visit from Isabella's godmother Lesley (this was just before the water pipe incident). We went to Michie Tavern in Charlottesville to have lunch, and for those of you who have not been there, it's an awesome place to visit and the food is delicious! When we were there, we tried some of their stewed tomatoes, and it was the best thing I have had in a while. Needless to say, I have been searching and searching for a recipe, and have yet to find one that can even come close to what they make.

Matt has been my test kitchen; I have been trying to recreate this recipe, and he is great about trying the results and offering comments. I am currently of the opinion that I have to go up there and see if I can find a cookbook that would explain how to make it; or barring that, get them to sell me some of that stewed tomatoes, its not a tough trip to sell because there is a great apple orchard there that makes the one of the most delicious apple pies I have had, you know come to think of it... I see a trip to Charlottesville in my family's future

No comments: